How do Probiotics Help with Digestion?
When you have problems with digestion, taking probiotics could help with digestive issues. These are healthy bacteria and yeasts that help promote proper digestion.
What Do Probiotics Do?
Probiotics add healthy or good bacteria to your digestive system, which helps keep bad bacteria from causing other digestive problems. Probiotics can also help correct imbalances of good and bad bacteria that occur after taking antibiotics. When you take antibiotics for infections, they destroy both the good and bad bacteria. Adding good bacteria helps your digestive system return to normal.
What Are the Different Probiotic Types?
There are different kinds of probiotics that can be taken for digestive problems. A few of these include the following:
- Lactobacillus: This common probiotic is found in yogurt and other kinds of fermented foods. Lactobacillus can help ease diarrhea and allow those who are lactose intolerant to have milk and other dairy products.
- Bifidobacterium: This probiotic is found in some kinds of dairy products and can help manage irritable bowel syndrome.
- Saccharomyces: This probiotic is a yeast that is sometimes used for treating diarrhea and other problems with digestion.
Uses for Probiotics
Probiotics help the digestive process by promoting the movement of food into your gut. They can be used for treating several problems that affect the digestive system, such as the following:
- Diarrhea due to antibiotic use or illnesses, such as bacterial infections, parasitic infections or viral infections
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Other gastrointestinal problems that interfere with digestion
How Are Probiotics Used?
Probiotics are used depending on what digestive issues you may be experiencing and other factors, such as other medical conditions you might have. Before you use any probiotic product, you should see your doctor. With your doctor’s help, you’ll know which type of probiotic to use and how to properly use it for healthy digestion. These products are generally safe, although you might not be able to use them if you have certain medical problems. Keep in mind that taking probiotics can cause some mild side effects at first.
To find out more about probiotics and how it can aid digestive issues, contact Gotham Medical Associates or call 212-227-3688. Our gastroenterologists offer specialized care and find a treatment option that is best for your needs.